Thursday, September 25, 2008

1974-D One Cent



Circulation strikes: 4,235,098,000
Designer:
Obverse: Victor David Brenner
Reverse: Frank Gasparro
Diameter: 19 millimeters
Metal content: Copper - 95%
Tin and Zinc - 5%
Weight: 3.11 grams
Edge: Plain
Mintmark: "D" (for Denver) below the date
Value: $0.25 (MS-65

1974 the year of the Aluminum cent and the Bronze clad Steel cent… despite the illegality of owning them I’m sure most of use would love to have one in our collections. We all know that the odds of ever getting our grubby little hands on one of these outlawed coins is some thing on the order of zero. But what happens if the One Cent is ever demonetized? Would the Aluminum and Bronze-clad Steel cents still be illegal to own? Seems to me that if we ever do away with the One Cent then none of them will be legal currency and the logic behind criminalizing possession of Aluminum and Bronze clad Steel cents evaporates. So maybe… just maybe there will be a glimmer of hope for those coveting 1974’s oddball coinage. The odds of ever getting one would still be next to zero for your average collector, but just maybe a few more examples would surface and be viewable by the public.

3 comments:

curious said...

n

Anonymous said...

What is the value of a 1974 Aluminum penny. I don't collect coins so I know nothing of it. I did come across one about 8 years ago and no, it does not say copy on the back of it. How do I know if it is a fake and if it is indeed made of aluminum?

David said...

I was wondering if any one knew the value of a 1973 Aluminum penny? Please let me know. My daughter found one in very good condition.