Monday, December 10, 2007

1989-P DIME



Circulation strikes: 1,298,400,000
Designer: John R. Sinnock
Diameter: ±17.9 millimeters
Metal content:
Outer layers - 75% Copper, 25% Nickel
Center - 100% Copper
Weight: ±2.27 grams
Edge: Reeded
Mintmark: "P" (for Philadelphia) above the date
Value: $0.75 (MS-65)

It wasn't a particularly good weekend for interesting coins. Went the whole weekend without finding anything of note. And then I dug through the change my wife had collected… At first glance a 1989 Philadelphia dime isn't all that interesting. I chose this one because the obverse is just a wee bit off center at about 3 o'clock. The reverse, on the other hand, is centered just fine. This isn't the first time I've noticed a coin like this, and it always seems odd to me when I see one. My expectation, perhaps incorrectly, is that a coin would be off center on both sides, after all, how can the planchet be incorrectly aligned with only one die?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a misaligned die.

On this type of error, only one side is slightly off center, while the other is properly centered.

http://www.coinpeople.com/lofiversion/index.php/t5182.html

Pocket Change said...

Very cool! thanks for the link... now I just need to find me a more significant example :)

Anonymous said...

i just found one today! i wonder if it has any value?

Anonymous said...

No added value, too many in circulation.