Friday, July 27, 2007

1966 DIME


Circulation strikes: 1,382,734,540
Proofs: 2,261,583 (Special Mint Set)
Designer: John R. Sinnock
Diameter: ±17.9 millimeters
Thickness: ±1.35 millimeters
Metal content:
Outer layers - 75% Copper, 25% Nickel
Center - 100% Copper
Weight: ±35 grains (±2.27 grams)
Edge: Reeded (118 reeds)
Mintmark: None (for Philadelphia)

It was a good day for coins… In addition to finding a few good Coin of the Day candidates in my pocket change(including the first 2007-P Dime to come my way), a coworker also brought over some coins from her change! After much deliberation I opted to go with one of the 1966 Dimes brought to me by my coworker. Ok, so there really wasn't all the much 'deliberation'. As soon as I noticed that this particular coin has a very slight offset to the obverse strike I knew it was going to be the winner. The misalignment isn't enough to be of any real interest (or value), It is only offset enough for the milled edge to be uneven, but it does make the coin stand out compared to the others. Besides, it's kinda neat!

The candidates consisted of:
1965 Dime
1965 Quarter
1966 Dime (2)
1969-D Penny
1974-Nickel
And a 2007-P Dime

2 comments:

Renee Hamilton said...

Wow, MY change made the Coin of the Day... I can hardly believe it... I... I... just don't know what to say! I'm so proud!

Pocket Change said...

Glad you approve. it WAS the best coin! I've also been known to collect a few choice coins from Mr. Tourette and to pilfer my wife's change in search of good coins (OK, pilfer isn't really the right word, she happily donates her change to the COTD cause)